The Ketogenic Diet
Updated: Jan 29
The Ketogenic (Keto) Diet is taking the world by storm! I wanted to share a quick synopsis of what the diet entails and what I've been eating on the diet. You can check out the video here, or keep reading to check out the recipes in written form!
Keto is a diet where your caloric intake is 70% Fat, 20%Protein, and 10%Carbs. This diet uses your fat for energy by starving your body of carbohydrates and sugar.
Best way to track this? Download the CarbManager where the app will create a plan based on your lifestyle about how much you can consume and you can keep track by inputing your daily foods.
Watch my video for more information on the diet. (I am not a doctor, so I suggest you do personal research on the diet to understand it in its entirety)
Here are some of my favorite recipes and essentials for the diet!
It is important to stay extra hydrated on this diet because your body will handle electrolytes and water differently when you take carbs out of your diet. So drink your water!
Sugar Free Snacks
I am a sugar addict and sometimes I just need a sugar fix. Buying some sugar free chocolates and candy (That I can have in moderation on low carb days) are helping me miss sugar! Check out that sugar free section in the candy isle that you always neglect. YES the candy is still sweet! (Sugar-free Popscicles and Jello are helpful too!)
Foods I Eat :
Your typical breakfast eggs are essential way to get in your fats and protein for the morning! I make my eggs with mushrooms, spinach and zucchini and cover them in cheese! This is easy to make (OF COURSE!) and all these ingredients follow a ketogenic diet.
Bacon has become essential to my diet because it is an easy way to get in fats and protein. The fattier and thicker your bacon, the better it is for the diet. You're looking about 10g of fat per each strip of bacon, which is pretty solid. If you don't eat pork, you can get turkey bacon, and that averages at about 4g of fat per slice. So it's your preference!
Berries in moderation are allowed on this diet! Can help with that sweet craving too!
Put it all over everything always!! Easy way to get all your fats in. Top as many meals as you can with CHEEESEEEE.
Dark Green Leafy Greens
Eat your veggies! Get some spinach and kale and make a salad! Top it with some cheese and oil!
you can get most of your fats from the oil you cook in. Using Coconut oil, Avocado oil and Olive Oil are a great way to get those fats in. Top your salads with it too!
Inspired by: Taste of Home
Things you need:
- Zucchini (2)
-Ground beef, turkey, or Gardein ground meat (for vegans and vegetarians)
-1 tbs Minced Garlic
- 1/2 of an onion
- 1/2 cup of Pasta Sauce
- 2 tbs of Coconut Oil
1. Cut your zucchini in half and carve out the insides (to make it look like a boat). Place zucchini meat to the side. Place your zucchini boats on a baking sheet.
2. Heat oven to 350 degrees.
3. In a stovetop skillet, add coconut oil, onion and minced garlic and let cook for about 3 minutes.
4. Add meat and extra zucchini meat to stove top and cook until done.
5. Add pasta sauce (no more than about 1/2 a cup, just to coat the meat.. shouldn't be soupy)
6. Fill zucchini boats with meat and top with shredded cheese of your choice.
7. Bake in oven for about 15-20 minutes. Until Zucchini is tender and cheese is melted.
Curried Cauliflower Kale Soup
Inspired by: Cotter Crunch
Cauliflower Mac and Cheese
If you like a cheese sauce mac and cheese try:
Inspired by: Ruled.me
If you like a baked mac and cheese:
Bacon and Cabbage (in Slow Cooker)
Watch on my video here.
Things you need:
-Half a head of cabbage
-4-8 strips of cooked bacon
-1 Tbs of Spicy Siracha Oil
-1 Tbs of Butter
-Salt, Pepper, Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, Paprika (to taste)
- 1 Tbs of Minced Garlic
- 1 1/2 cup of Vegetable broth (or broth of your choice)
Combine all ingredients into a slow cooker on HIGH and cook for 4 hours.
Check on cabbage at 2 hours and make sure ingredients are submerged in broth.
Avocado Fries w. Porkgrind Batter
Watch on my video here.
- 1 Avocado
- Bag of Porkgrinds
-Paprika, Salt, Pepper
-Salsa (2 tbs)
1. Cut Avocado into slices.
2. Crush Porkgrinds into powder like pieces and place in a bowl and season to taste with Paprika, Salt and Pepper. (The more crushed, the better the batter)
3. Add an egg to a separate bowl.
4. Heat Coconut Oil on Stovetop.
5. Dip Avocado in egg, then into pork grind batter and transfer over to stovetop. Allow to fry on each side for about 45 seconds.
6. Serve with 2 Tbs of Salsa.
Italian Cheese & Pesto Chicken
Watch my video here.
- Chicken Breasts
-Pesto (in a jar)
-6 Italian shredded Cheese
1. Coat Chicken Breast with Pesto
2. Cover in Cheese
3. Bake on 300 degree for 30 minutes, or until done.